- 1 kg boneless meat
- 1/2 kg wheat without husk
- 1/4kg chana dal
- 1/4 kg (masoor,moog,urad,arhar dals,rice)
- 1/2 cup oats
- 4 tbsp garlic
- 4 tbsp ginger
- 3 onions
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp whole garam masala
- 1 tsp nutmeg,mace,cardamom powder
- 11/2 cup oil
- Soak wheat and chana dal separately ,overnight and other dals for two hours.
- In a cooker add water with 1 tsp ginger garlic paste, haldi,chilli powder and salt.When water boils add soaked wheat and cook until wheat is very soft, it will take approximately an hour on medium heat.with a big spoon blend the wheat very well ('gotna hay').
- Heat 1 cup oil in a cooker. Add one sliced onion and whole garam masala. When onion turns pink and meat pieces cook for few minutes then add 3 tbsp ginger and garlic paste,turmeric powder,coriander powder, chilli powder and 2 chopped onions.Stir well add 1 cup of dahi . Close the cooker and cook it on medium high heat. After one whistle lower the heat and cook 15 minutes, let it cool it self.
- Put the cooker back on stove and stir the meat well until the oil separates from meat and nice aroma comes. Add zaifal, zavitri and small amount of cardamom powder.Take out cooked meat in a big pot.
- In the same cooker add all the dals and rice with 1 tsp each of ginger ,garlic paste,chilli powder,haldi powder,salt with water and cook until they are very soft.
- Transfer cooked wheat and dals in a big pot with meat. Mix all of them very well then add 2 cups of water and oats. Add chopped green chillies (optional and to taste). Cook this mixture for half an hour on medium heat and keep stirring until every thing is homogenized (or the mixture has a similar consistency throughout).
- Heat oil in a pan. Fry sliced onion and whole garam masala and pour over haleem.
- Garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
- Served with chopped onion lemon wedges and salad.