Paya Mutton Nihari
1. 500 g mutton cubed (leg piece)
2. 3 Paya cut into small pieces
3. ¾ cup of oil
4. 1 tbsp garam masala whole
5. 2 large onion chopped
6. 3 tbsp garlic paste
7. 3 tbsp ginger paste
8. 1 tbsp red chilli powder
9. 1 tsp turmeric powder
10. 1 tsp roasted cumin powder
11. 1 tsp mace powder
12. 1 tbsp garam masala powder
13. 2 tbsp wheat and gram (besan)flour
14. 2 tbsp Nihari powder(optional)
15. Salt to taste
16. 4 cups of hot water
4 green chillies chopped
1 cup chopped coriander leaves
1 tbsp Juliennes of ginger
· To clean paya, rub them with flour and wash with water
· Heat oil in pressure cooker and fry onion light brown
· Add cinnamon, cloves, black and green cardamoms, pepper corns, bay leaves.
· Add paya and mutton pieces and cook for 2 minutes.
· Add ginger garlic paste fry until color of mutton changed then add chills , turmeric , coriander cumin powders keep stirring.
· Add ½ cup of curd cook it until all the moisture evaporates and oil separates.
· Add hot water stir it, close the cooker, cook on high heat, after one whistle lower down the heat and cook approximately half an hour.
· Roast wheat and gram flours in 2tsp ghee cool it, dissolve it in ½ cup of water.
· Open the pressure cooker if meat is tender separate the meat pieces from gravy .In gravy add the flour mixture and boil for 2-3 minutes .now put back the meat and paya add garam masala powder ,mace and cardamom powder let it simmer for 10 minutes.
· Dish out and garnish with chopped coriander, green chilies and juliennes of ginger.
· Serve with nan /roti.